Problems, Risks and Opportunities Coming from Every Direction – What Do I Do?
What is ERM?
For instance, it is nearly impossible to understand the cumulative risk exposure of the business. Therefore, the additional risk or benefit that any individual business decision has on the organization is difficult to determine. Additionally, traditional risk management is “balance sheet” oriented, meaning that only losses to hard assets are actively protected against, usually through the purchase of insurance. Losses to “soft” assets, such as a company’s reputation/brand, intellectual property, or human capital, do not directly appear on the balance sheet, leading them to be overlooked as sources of risk that need to be managed vigorously and financed. Risks or opportunities that cut across many different business units are also hard to mitigate (or exploit), not only because of the organizational coordination issues involved, but also due to the diverse set of knowledge that must be brought to bear.
Most Difficult Task of All
Managing Program & Project Problems, Risks and Opportunities
Are You Vulture Meat?
- “What is a project’s true value to the enterprise— yesterday, today and tomorrow?”
- “What opportunity cost does the project represent to the enterprise— is there a better project in our portfolio we should pursue?”
- “What emerging risks and opportunities does the project avert or help exploit, or poses itself to the enterprise?”
- “Is the project being set up to fail by the enterprise?”
- “Can the project be saved if it is failing or should it be stopped?”
Why Do You Develop Software the Way You Do?
- 1/3 the human effort
- 1/3 the development hours
- 1/3 the time
- 1/3 the defect rate
- 1/3 the investment in tools and methods
- 1/3 the effort to adapt to a new market environment
Principles of Lean Development
ITABHI Services Summary
- Risk entrepreneurship, risk leadership and profit & innovation leadership
- Enterprise, program and project risk & benefit assessment
- Management husbandry
- IT and corporate governance
- Portfolio creation & management
- Large-scale program and project risk assessments
- Large-scale program and project management coaching
- Organizational risk-ethic culture change
- IT due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Technology investment assessment
- Software intensive systems engineering including systems-of-systems
- Software system lean development
In addition to our advisory services, we offer on-site training in our areas of expertise or through our training partner, Group Atlantic.